I really hate the saying Be The Change You Want to See in The World but...
I seem to encapsulate it.
Because it seems I exist to offer the help now that I wish I had been on the receiving end through-out my life.
Abuse survivor with small kid needs an ear and a witness for child exchanges? I can be that person.
Family who might need emergency childcare in the middle of the night because of their youngest's mystery health issues? I now sleep with my ringer on just in case.
Co-worker/student navigating the fucking mess of mental health care systems? I can be your guide.
When N left, I lost a 'project'. I had been advocating for him for 8 years and all of a sudden, I wasn't wanted anymore. And in hindsight, I never did get recognition for all that work. Sure, friends knew the amount of work I was dedicating to advocating for him, but N never saw this and his dad certainly didn't give a fuck.
Now, my helping is appreciated. That student said it meant a lot to her that I called her to check in. That family with the sick kid are like family to me. Abuse survivor has become a good friend and lends a ear.
I'm sad that it took this long to feel appreciated.
I seem to encapsulate it.
Because it seems I exist to offer the help now that I wish I had been on the receiving end through-out my life.
Abuse survivor with small kid needs an ear and a witness for child exchanges? I can be that person.
Family who might need emergency childcare in the middle of the night because of their youngest's mystery health issues? I now sleep with my ringer on just in case.
Co-worker/student navigating the fucking mess of mental health care systems? I can be your guide.
When N left, I lost a 'project'. I had been advocating for him for 8 years and all of a sudden, I wasn't wanted anymore. And in hindsight, I never did get recognition for all that work. Sure, friends knew the amount of work I was dedicating to advocating for him, but N never saw this and his dad certainly didn't give a fuck.
Now, my helping is appreciated. That student said it meant a lot to her that I called her to check in. That family with the sick kid are like family to me. Abuse survivor has become a good friend and lends a ear.
I'm sad that it took this long to feel appreciated.
Comments
Post a Comment