Originally posted to FB
Hey! Mother's Day is next weekend! It's a loaded holiday for a lot of people. I'm already crafting a self care day to keep me occupied.
Do you know a parent who might go unacknowledged next weekend? Make a plan TODAY to celebrate them. Find out if kids need support getting gifts, cards, etc. and make something happen for this parent.
I'm taking my small friend shopping on Wednesday. Her choices will be wacky and her mom will love it. (I'm backing this up with a CBD bath bomb)
I can't ever think of a Mother's day where I felt acknowledged or supported in this role.
On my first mother's day I had to pack up me and 7-month old Kiddo to drive an hour each way so my mother-out-law could have her first mother's day as Nana. I think I bought myself bedsheets for the futon as my gift. Which was good because 6 months later it had become my bed in Kiddo's room.
On my second mother's day I was in the process of extracting myself from this abusive relationship and I decided to get my yearly pedicure. I told him I was going out for a bit and he said I should have asked him first if he was available to take care of Kiddo.
This will be my 16th mother's day. Mothering broke me. The expectations of mothering broke me. Mothering, and being tied in this way to my ex, added the Complex to my PTSD. I love (almost) all of the mothers in my life, but I don't recommend mothering. Not the way it's done in the mainstream. Not in the way that resulted in the pandemic being especially harsh on working mothers resulting in them leaving the workforce. Which is such a precarious position to be in, I wince when I think about women being reliant on men.
Wasn't it supposed to be better by now? Why is motherhood such a risk? So thankless?
Now, go make plans to take your single parent out for brunch, or relieve them of their kid for a period, or show up with a single flower, or simply send a text that shows that you see them and the work they do
Comments
Post a Comment